Every year, musicians from the Greater Dallas Youth Orchestra program compete in competitions throughout the North Texas area. We are proud of your accomplishments outside of our program, and we look forward to sharing your good news. Let’s continue by highlighting the Collin County Young Artist Competition, the Vernell Gregg Young Artist Competition, and the Music Teachers National Association “Division” Competition, and Jazz Band of America, and National YoungArts Foundation.
Collin County Young Artist Competition (sponsored by the Plano Symphony) – Jan. 9
- 1st: Kaeon Cho, violin (GDYO)
- 2nd: Jacqueline Liu, viola (Sinfonietta)
- Honorable Mention: April Chung, violin (GDYO) and Vivian Zhang, violin (PHIL)
- 1st: Alexander Davis-Pegis, cello (GDYO)
- Alexander Davis-Pegis also received one of 3 Grand Prize Winners and he will perform with the Plano Symphony on March 19.
- 3rd: Kevin Bai, violin (GDYO)
- Honorable Mention: Samuel Choi, violin (GDYO), Samantha Choo, violin (GDYO), and Kevin Kim, cello (PHIL)
Vernell Gregg Young Artist Competition (sponsored by Lake Lewisville Symphony) – Jan 23
- Senior Division: 2nd place, Richard Huang, oboe (PHIL)
- Junior Division: 2nd place, Claire Druffner, cello (GDYO)
MTNA (Music Teachers National Association) “Division” Competition – Jan 10
- Division’s 1st place winners - advanced to National Competition in April.
- Junior Winds: Hannah Kim, flute (PHIL)
- Senior Strings: Yong Ha Jung, viola (GDYO)
- Senior Winds: Annabelle Kim, flute (GDYO)
Jazz Band of America – 2016
- Austin Zhang, alto saxophone - Lead Alto (Jazz Institute)
- Zach Gross, baritone saxophone (Jazz Institute)
National YoungArts Foundation
- Merit Winner: Austin Zhang, alto saxophone (Jazz Institute)
Every year, musicians from the Greater Dallas Youth Orchestra program compete in competitions throughout the North Texas area. We are proud of your accomplishments outside of our program, and we look forward to sharing your good news. Let’s start with the Juanita Miller Concerto Competition, which took place January 9th.
The Texas Association for Symphony Orchestras (TASO) hosts the Juanita Miller Concerto Competition each year. In 1997, Juanita and Henry S. Miller provided the initial underwriting and subsequent gifts to fund this youth competition, which now bears her name. Mr. and Mrs. Miller’s dedication, vision, generosity and devotion to music that led to the establishment of a statewide youth competition for outstanding high school musicians. In hosting this competition, TASO continues to employ a professional approach for selecting the winners by choosing outstanding judges from across the country. This year’s judges included: Mia Chung, Piano - Curtis Institure of Music; Stephen Shipps, Strings - University of Michigan School of Music; Mark Kellogg, Winds-Brass - Eastman School of Music.
Say congratulations to these musicians when you see them, especially those who are members of the GDYO program, indicated with an asterisk(*)!! And stay tuned for more GOOD NEWS in the coming days from other recent competitions.
- & Grand Prize - Steven Dong
- Ann Li
- Patrick Magee
HM. Joshua Painter
- Sai Sai Ding *
- Claire Wells
- Megan Lin
HM. Charlie Lin *, Alexander Davis-Pegis *, Nikki Naghavi
- Hannah Kim *
- Eena Lin
- Youngwoo Sohn
HM. Serene Supakkul *